In the “Covers” works, I only want to feel a feeling.Sasho Stoitzov
Sasho Stoitzov, „COVER 1“, 2020, Painting – acrylic/mixed media on canvas, 90x80cm
From my experience in art most memorable are those moments in which I have done something completely new for me. The leading strand is responding in a specific way to what is happening in and around me and finding the most adequate way of approaching and expressing it which often leads me to a completely new form of art.Sasho Stoitzov
This is evident from the diversity of the media in my work. I use painting, drawing, sculptures, installations, photography, performance, computer.
The topics are either from social experience, related to people I know or related to art.
The constant change is keeping me away from the boredom caused by formality.
Sasho Stoitzov was born in 1952 in Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria.
Since 1998, he has lived and worked in Sofia and New York. He graduated at the The School of Fine Arts, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1971.
1999-2000 studied Digital Media Arts Technology in TCI, NYC.
- Since 1980, he began to hold solo exhibitions, some of which are: „Program” Series, Rakovski 108 Gallery, Sofia (1980); “Signs”, Gallery HO, Berlin, Germany (1996); “Mosholu PKWY”, Gallery, Match Book, New York, USA (2003); 2011 “Hole in the Parquet”, Sariev Gallery, Plovdiv (2011); “Street Art Inside”, Prague (2014); „BREAKTHROUGH” National Gallery for Art, Sofia, Bulgaria (2016) Curator: Maria Vassileva. “Characteristic justifiability”, Arosita Gallery, Sofia (2018).
- In the late 1980s, Sasho Stoitzov was the co-organizer of the exhibitions: “11,11,88”, Blagoevgrad (1988) and “The River Action”, Blagoevgrad (1989).
- In the 90s he participated in all group exhibitions of the changes, some of which are: “Kaymak (Cream)-Art” Shipka 6 Gallery, Sofia, Bulgaria (1991); “Modern’s Arts Week” Starinna Banya, Plovdiv, Bulgaria (1995); “Sofia Underground-2”, National Palace of Culture, Sofia (1998).
- Participation in international projects: “Africus ’95 Biennial” Johannesburg, RSA (1995); “Labiles gleichgewicht”, Berlin, Germany (1996); “Exhibition of Contemporary Bulgarian Art”, Oude Kerk, Amsterdam, Netherlands; „Focus Bulgaria”, viennacontemporary, Vienna , Austria (2015). “Bulgarian Contemporary Art Exhibition”, Art Front Gallery, Tokyo, Japan (1998).
- Contemporary art exhibitions after 2000: “Export / Import”; “Why Duchamp”, Sofia Arsenal-MCA, Sofia. Curator Maria Vassileva (2012); “SELECTION OPTION. CHANGE “, National Palace of Culture, World Bank, Sofia (2012); „NATURA VIVA”, Credo Bonum Gallery. Curator Vesela Nozharova (2017); „Autobiography Project”, Sofia Arsenal-MCA, Curator Nadezhda Dzakova (2018). “ Listen to us-Artistic intelligence”. Plovdiv, 2019. Open Art Files: “Open Art Files: Notes and footnotes”, 2019. Kapana Gallery, Plovdiv. Curator Vera Mlechevska Festivals: “Process-Space”, Balchik (1992); INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF GLASS – 2012, 2014, Sofia.
- Since 2014 Sasho Stoitzov is also the organizer of the contemporary art events is In Blagoevgrad: Spring Festival for Contemporary Art, STAICHKI, Painting Symposium .
- Sasho Stoitzov`s works are part of collections such as: National Gallery for Art, Sofia Art Gallery, MMOMA, Moscow.